Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Virgin Mary Overload

I've been to a lot of churches and museums and seen about a million paintings, statues, and other works of art depicting the life of Jesus. At least half a million of them were of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus in her lap. And I thought Southern Baptists were nuts about baby Jesus! They got nothing on Venice.

It's late and I am tired, so I'm going to post some random photos of stuff I haven't worked into the blog yet.

The church of Santa Maria della Salute.
St. Mark's Square -- and lots of tourists.
Church of Madonna dell'Orto.
One of the many old palaces facing the Grand Canal.
Italy summed up in one photo: Politics (comunista), religion (Jesus painting), the old (the men), and the new (cell phone).
Street of death!
Gondola on the Grand Canal
On the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, with St. Mark's Square, the Doge's Palace, and the Campanile behind me.
Venetian bus stop.
Beautiful canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment