Monday, September 20, 2010

Engrish Funny

Another beautiful day here. Unfortunately, it's also laundry day. I've got nothing clean left. So after school I came back to the apartment.

Marina has come back from her vacation, so I have someone to talk to while I am home. Her English is good but not great. Today she gently scolded me for leaving a light on when I left this morning. She said that after the Chernobyl accident, the Italians voted in a referendum not to have nuclear power. So everyone here must conserve energy. When my clothes were done washing, we hung them on a clothesline outside.  Marina laughed when I told her I have never hung clothes on a clothesline. She showed me how so I could "teach the people in my country."

Shirts and pants to the left, socks and undies to the right.

Three students left our class this week to go back home, and four new ones joined. We now have two Americans, one French, one German, one Austrian, one Dutch and one Australian. The Australian girl is completely lost. She's a total beginner and doesn't understand anything. I only understand about 10%-20% of what the teachers say, but it's enough that I get the gist of it. For instance, the teacher will say blah blah blah paese blah blah blah feminili blah blah blah plurale, and I can figure out that she is talking about how to make the plural of feminine words. We also do a lot of conversation practice. For instance, we will learn how to say "Where are you going today?" (Dove vai oggi?) And then we get up and ask all of the other students that question. You think of an answer and tell them. Then we sit down and the teacher turns to one of us, me for instance, and asks what Claire is doing today. Then I say Claire va a Piazza San Marco e il Palazzo Ducale (Claire is going to St. Mark's Square and the Doge's Palace).

Walking around, I have seen some signs in English that made me laugh. Here are a couple:

Wasted Pido and the what?
Explaining MILFs to Adelheid was not easy.
"Raging Pub," run by two polite Japanese girls.

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend that would die if I gave him the CD of a band called Wasted Pido and the Scum Fucks - I'll pay you back! I offer a much better exchange rate for Euros to US Dollars then most currency windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to prove how innocent I am....I had to look up milfs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you have to wash your clothes on a scrub board or did she actually have a washer? Hope they're no pigeons living above. Btw clothes dried on a clothesline DO smell better. Cool pics. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added one more pic: Raging Pub.

    There are a lot of pigeons in Venice, but none where I am staying. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete