Friday, September 24, 2010

Last Day

I'm leaving tomorrow in the morning, so today is my last day. One last macchiato, one last goodbye to my classmates, one last museum, and one last look at Venice at night before I go.

The time here has both dragged by and flew by. At times, I couldn't believe how quickly the days were passing and how soon I would be leaving. Other times, when I was walking the streets alone or eating dinner alone, I wished the time would go quicker. I have discovered that I do not like traveling alone. I need someone with me to hang out with and share the experiences with. But as I have realized and as others at school (who also traveled here alone) have pointed out, when you are alone you meet more people and see more things, and you experience the city.

This morning when I stopped to get my usual breakfast at the bakery, I told Silvia that I was leaving. We said goodbye and she gave me three cannoli for free. She likes me :) She also wrote down her name and told me to add her on Facebook.

Today in school the mood was light. Most of us are going home tomorrow. We joked, played some games, and traded emails and took pictures. Elisa, my regular teacher, was back to day and I got my picture with her.

Me and Elisa
After class, Karen and I went to Ca' Rezzonico, an old palazzo on the Grand Canal that has been turned into a museum. It shows you what life was like for rich Venetians in the 18th century. The rooms are huge and lavish, with art everywhere, giant glass chandeliers made on the island of Murano, some furniture, and items like silver cups and serving trays. And, of course, there are pieces from famous Venetian artists like Tintoretto.

Then I walked around through the familiar parts of Venice. For the most part, I can get around without a map anymore, and sometimes I don't take it with me. Although I didn't lost today, getting lost in Venice is one of the best things about visiting Venice. You find yourself walking down the smallest of streets and you discover the most interesting shops or restaurants, or a dead end into a beautiful courtyard, or a small, serene canal, and above is someone's voice drifting out of a third story window. It's quiet and peaceful. Then after a few more turns you suddenly walk into a big square with a church, kids playing soccer, and women sitting on benches and talking. You're never really lost, because there are signs that point to major landmarks like St. Mark's Square or the train station. The island isn't that big. You can always find a way back.

Tonight after dinner I'll probably sail down the Grand Canal one more time. I want to see it at night again. Then tomorrow morning I'm on a plane back home. I'm glad I saw this magnificent city, but I'm ready to be home. Will I come again? Probably. But I want to see other places now. And when I come back here, I hope my Italian is better!

1 comment:

  1. Update: It rained all night, so I skipped the trip down the Grand Canal. So much for a poetic end to my trip!

    ReplyDelete